Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just before I had left Mamajam the people had sown a stretch

Go down 
AuthorMessage
c19900103
CAFGU
CAFGU

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Just before I had left Mamajam the people had sown a stretch Empty
PostSubject: Just before I had left Mamajam the people had sown a stretch   Just before I had left Mamajam the people had sown a stretch Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Just before I had left Mamajam the people had sown a considerable quantity of maize, which appears above ground in two or three days, and in favorable seasons ripens in less than two months. Owing to a week's premature rains the ground was all flooded when I returned, and the plants just ooming into ear, were yellow and dead. Not a grain would be obtained by the whole village, but luckily it is only a luxury, not a necessary of Tiffany jewelry life. The rain was the signal for plowing to begin, in order to sow rice on all the flat lands between us and the town.
The plow used is a rude wooden instrument with a very short single handle, a tolerably wellshaped coulter, and the point formed of a piece of hard palmwood fastened in with wedges. One or two buffaloes draw Tiffany jewellery outlet every single jade is surely an apparition it at a very slow pace. The seed is sown broadcast, and a rude wooden harrow is used to smooth the surface. By the beginning of December the regular wet season had set in. Westerly winds and driving rains Tiffany Sets sometimes continued for days together the fields for miles around were under water, and the ducks and buffaloes enjoyed themselves amazingly.
All along the road to Macassar plowing was daily going on in the mud nike outlet and water, through which the wooden plow cheap tiffany jewelry easily makes its way, the plowman holding the plow-handle with one hand, while a long bamboo in the other serves to guide the buffaloes. These animals require an immense deal of driving to get them on at all a continual shower of exclamations is kept up at them, and " oh ! ah! gee ! ugh I" are to be heard in various keys and in an uninterrupted succession all day long. At night we were favored with a different kind of concert. These jewelries are Tiffany outlet store in London The dry ground around my house had become a marsh tenanted by frogs, who kept up a most incredible nike outlet store noise from dusk to dawn. They were somewhat musical too, having a deep vibrating note which at times closely resembles the tuning of two or three bassviols in an orchestra.
Back to top Go down

Just before I had left Mamajam the people had sown a stretch
Page 1 of 1